* indicates required
Welcome to Bariatric Eating - Before & After Help

Welcome to the BE Support Forum – founded by Susan Maria Leach, author of Before & After – Living & Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery - experience, positive support, knowledge, friends & products - over 40,000 members strong with eight years of helping those who have had bariatric surgery find a personal path to effecting permanent change.

We are here to support your journey no matter what you weigh or where you started – while we work towards shared positive goals of health, nutrition and lifestyle. A cheer for accomplishment, concern over a cry for help, a hug for your frustration, the best tasting protein, vitamins to avoid deficiencies, help for your hair loss, advice for relationship changes, body talk, or a needed push to get you back on track. No bashing, foul language, or ridicule for your choices - we’re all in this together. If you like the book and BE, you’ll love our style and feel at home.

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message disappears once you have registered.

Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why am I craving tomato juice?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
  • Interests:My 11 grandchildren!
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research
    Scrapbooking - would love to learn
Hi,

I've never been a tomato juice drinker. I liked it ok...just never got it on a regular basis.

Then, on my last 2 plane rides for surgery, I really craved it so I got it instead of coffee. It was SO good!!! I like it icy, icy cold.

I've been meaning to get it at the store but have been forgetting. Finally...got some today & just finished off 8 oz. YUM!!! I won't drink more than 8 oz a day since it has sugar in it. I don't know what's in it that I'm craving, but it sure filled that spot!

Anyone else drink tomato juice?

Thanks,

Melinda

LaDeeDa

LaDeeDa

Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts
I wish I could drink tomato juice- because it is very good for you and very filling but it makes me gag!

I am worried about your craving, and would suggest you get some blood work done. People who are anemic will often crave tomatoes and tomato juice. Tomato juice doesn't typically contain iron but it does contain Vitamin C- which your body needs to absorb iron. It's weird what the body craves when it's missing something. Did you know that people who are anemic will also crave ice? My mom who is border line anemic knows she needs to increase her iron intake when she starts craving ice.

The other thing you could be craving is the potasium.

Good luck!

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

I wish I could drink tomato juice- because it is very good for you and very filling but it makes me gag!

I am worried about your craving, and would suggest you get some blood work done. People who are anemic will often crave tomatoes and tomato juice. Tomato juice doesn't typically contain iron but it does contain Vitamin C- which your body needs to absorb iron. It's weird what the body craves when it's missing something. Did you know that people who are anemic will also crave ice? My mom who is border line anemic knows she needs to increase her iron intake when she starts craving ice.

The other thing you could be craving is the potasium.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input! I had my bloodwork done in Jan and everything was fine. I will be sure & take my iron everyday. I've had some blood potassium issues this summer where I had too much. It was caused by a medication. Now I'm taking another med to balance the effects of the first one. Tightrope walk!

I eat a LOT of tomatoes. I just had a whole one a while ago. Love sprinkling salt & eating them sliced. Cottage cheese is a favorite accompaniment.

I was reading on a board about craving tomato juice during flying...they brought up some very interesting stuff.

One was that tomato juice is a natural blood thinner - helps prevent clots? Also they said it hydrates almost as well as water without it going through you as fast as water. Who knows? It was so funny to read other people saying the same thing...how they crave tomato juice while flying!

:cheer:

Melinda

Suseq

Suseq

Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
I'm fine and I crave it also. Love it, Love it. So good when it's hot outside.

By the way, I was just wondering how you were today, Melaska.

Hope things are going well for you.

Playful_Pixie

Playful_Pixie

Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
There's quite a bit of potassium in tomato juice, maybe that's what you're craving.

If you really want to spice it up, you might try Snap.e.Tom sometime; it's tomato juice with a little jalepeno kick in it. Delicious! It's also adds a great zing in soups.

jannilou

jannilou

Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
I get Trader Joe's tomato juice by the half-gallon...love the stuff and it makes a great soup base as well! Be careful of the sodium in tomato or V-8 juice...there's a whole lot of salt...probably part of what makes it so tasty!

KatinSanAntonio

KatinSanAntonio

Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
It's funny because I absolutely do not like tomato juice but I've been craving my gazpacho, which is cold veg soup made with tomato juice. I'll make it soon and send the recipe. It is so cold and crunchy and I can add some shrimp to up the protein, especially for the summertime, and now that I know it's rich in potassium...

Kat

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

I'm fine and I crave it also. Love it, Love it. So good when it's hot outside.

By the way, I was just wondering how you were today, Melaska.

Hope things are going well for you.

How much do you drink a day?

I'm doing fine - it's been 2 months now since surgery & I'm pretty much back to my old self - minus the extra skin & a couple new 'additions' :girl_wink:

Thanks!

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

There's quite a bit of potassium in tomato juice, maybe that's what you're craving.

If you really want to spice it up, you might try Snap.e.Tom sometime; it's tomato juice with a little jalepeno kick in it. Delicious! It's also adds a great zing in soups.

Maybe it is the potassium.

I could only find the huge cans of tomato juice - no small cans. Hmmm, that jalapeno kick sounds interesting and I am a huge fan of it.

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

I get Trader Joe's tomato juice by the half-gallon...love the stuff and it makes a great soup base as well! Be careful of the sodium in tomato or V-8 juice...there's a whole lot of salt...probably part of what makes it so tasty!

Oh man...I SO miss Trader Joe's! Wish they would come to Alaska.

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

It's funny because I absolutely do not like tomato juice but I've been craving my gazpacho, which is cold veg soup made with tomato juice. I'll make it soon and send the recipe. It is so cold and crunchy and I can add some shrimp to up the protein, especially for the summertime, and now that I know it's rich in potassium...

Kat

Yum, gazpacho is good - I'd love the recipe!

jklm

jklm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I HAVE ALSO BEEN CRAVING IT BUT I AM ONLY 6 WEEKS OUT AND I HAVE AN APPT NEXT TUESDAY SO I WAS GOING TO ASK MY DR IF I COULD HAVE IT

The Lady

The Lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
With my dietary issues, I've found cravings are usually the body's signal that I'm missing something contained within the food or drink... I try to think, "What is it that is so appealing?" in the hopes I can figure it out on my own and remedy my body's 'nudge'...

SarahP

SarahP

Mein Deutsch ist schrecklich!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts
  • Interests:My family<br />Travel<br />Fitness<br />Furthering my education<br />Having fun!
I can't believe that no one else has taken advantage of this opportunity...

*THUNK* have you had your V8 today?

(luv ya mel!)

pwojda

pwojda

Team Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
I am a tomato juice lover also (luv anything tomato based). Drink it often with pepper and hot sauce in it...Yum!...think I'll have some now!... :hithere:

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

I can't believe that no one else has taken advantage of this opportunity...

*THUNK* have you had your V8 today?

(luv ya mel!)

:cheer:

Good one!

I used to love V8 but it's just plain tomato juice I'm craving now. I guess it's better than craving chocolate! :diva: Just love this little guy!

:diva:

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

I am a tomato juice lover also (luv anything tomato based). Drink it often with pepper and hot sauce in it...Yum!...think I'll have some now!... :hithere:

I just plain love tomatoes. I just bought a whole bunch yesterday to make my salsa today.

I get a real hankering for a really good homemade marinara sauce - this is when I wish I lived next door to Susan Maria when she's in her Italian cooking mood! :girl_wink:

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

With my dietary issues, I've found cravings are usually the body's signal that I'm missing something contained within the food or drink... I try to think, "What is it that is so appealing?" in the hopes I can figure it out on my own and remedy my body's 'nudge'...

Good point.

My daughter craves chocolate before her period...I hear it's the magnesium in it.

Linda

Linda

Have whisk - Will travel

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts
Maybe it's just the salt!

I love the stuff, but even the low-sodium is crazy high in sodium for me.

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

I HAVE ALSO BEEN CRAVING IT BUT I AM ONLY 6 WEEKS OUT AND I HAVE AN APPT NEXT TUESDAY SO I WAS GOING TO ASK MY DR IF I COULD HAVE IT

Just be careful being so new from surgery. It does have 7-9 grams of sugar in 8 oz...you might be sensitive to that much at one time right now. It's the sugar that's naturally in the tomatoes.

As I've learned on here...the docs don't always know the best for nutrition - they're good at the surgery but not all of them have the latest & greatest in the nutrition dept.

This would be a good question to ask in a different thread - maybe in the BE12 forum. Or start one here in the general board.

melaska

melaska

Snow bunny!

• Bariatric Veterans
  • 7,728 posts
    Reading
    Art
    Cooking
    Mysteries
    Research

Maybe it's just the salt!

I love the stuff, but even the low-sodium is crazy high in sodium for me.

Most likely is the salt...I crave salty things. I can't trust myself to salt my food to everyone's taste...I try to hold back.

Playful_Pixie

Playful_Pixie

Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Good point.

My daughter craves chocolate before her period...I hear it's the magnesium in it.

I have never craved chocolate, but I always crave cheese and red meat. I just lose my mind over the thought of a big cheeseburger, and steak with blue cheese. Anything at all with cheese on it looks soooo good to me; cheez-its, cheetos, cheese bread, anything with cheese.

I've concluded it's the calcium and iron that I crave, maybe the protein. I've found since going on the protein shakes and taking regular vitamin/mineral supplements, it's lessened considerably.

mokeyx2ak

mokeyx2ak

Team Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Shopping, camping, spending time with family...did I mention shopping?

I have never craved chocolate, but I always crave cheese and red meat. I just lose my mind over the thought of a big cheeseburger, and steak with blue cheese. Anything at all with cheese on it looks soooo good to me; cheez-its, cheetos, cheese bread, anything with cheese.

I've concluded it's the calcium and iron that I crave, maybe the protein. I've found since going on the protein shakes and taking regular vitamin/mineral supplements, it's lessened considerably.

Same here!! I would live off of cheese along if I could!!!! *L*

Playful_Pixie

Playful_Pixie

Team Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Same here!! I would live off of cheese along if I could!!!! *L*

You and me both, sis! I was so relieved to discover that cheese can still be a regular part of my diet post-op! :cheer: